Welcome to our Sustainable Engineering Research Laboratory (SERL)!
Our Sustainable Engineering Research Laboratory (SERL) at the University of Illinois at Chicago is focused on addressing the trending challenges in the development of sustainable and resilient civil infrastructure and safeguarding the earth and environment by integrating the knowledge from emerging areas of sustainability, resiliency, infrastructure, water, energy, and environment. We have continually demonstrated a high level of technical excellence and quality in research through the development of innovative and pragmatic approaches that have been widely recognized and adopted for use. Being in Chicago, we are uniquely positioned to recognize the importance and pursue research on urban infrastructure and environmental protection.
Many projects are in progress, with a focus on:
- Drivers for Climate Change and Resiliency
- Design for Resiliency and Sustainability
- Sustainability Assessment Metrics, Tools & Frameworks
- Life Cycle Assessment of Engineered Materials and Systems
- Addressing Social Sustainability (Social Sustainability Evaluation Matrix)
- Green and Sustainable Contaminated Site Remediation
- Sustainable Integrated Waste Management
- Sustainable Waste Containment/Remediation Systems
- Sustainable Nanotechnologies
- Sustainable Biotechnologies
- Sustainable Civil Engineering Materials
- Sustainable Civil Infrastructure
- Education on Sustainability
- Outreach to Communities
Please explore this website and contact us if you have any questions or need any additional information.
Krishna R. Reddy, PhD, PE, DGE, BCEE, FASCE, ENV SP
Professor and Lab Director